When my husband and I first bought this building I had suggested to my husband that we turn the apartment upstairs into a studio for my vintage inventory. He laughed at me and said no, his original plan was to rent the apartment out. It is fairly large with 3 bedrooms, a nice size living room, kitchen and dining room. There is also a laundry room however it doesn’t have any of the hook ups for a washer or dryer so I am not sure what it was used for possibly just a ironing/sewing room.
After a year of letting the upstairs sit empty my husband brought up the idea that I use one of the bedrooms as a studio (he acted like it was his idea, tsk tsk.) I immediately jumped on the idea since my inventory is literally taking over my house which isn’t that big to begin with and started right away. After a few bumps in the road like finding a babysitter to watch my 3 children while I worked was my biggest hurdle but one that I overcame and I found a wonderful babysitter for my kids and she come twice a week so I can go work.
This pink room is my studio, this is a before picture with the exception of the carpet with was already removed by the time my husband gave me the go ahead. As you can see it is a Pepto Bismol Pink even the ceiling, what you don’t see is the 3 or 4 layers of wallpaper underneath that nasty pink paint.
There was serious work to be done, I spent probably 15 hours just scrapping paint and wallpaper off of these walls.
Underneath all of the wallpaper is plaster and sheet rock, as this building is very old. It was originally built in the 1840’s, the exact year is unclear. The building originally was a general store/ funeral home, eventually it was just a funeral home. That was the last business to be in this building until we rented the downstairs space to a computer repair shop called My Local PC Pro.
All of that brown stuff is wallpaper waiting for me to scrap it off. I used a razor blade scrapper to remove it along with a spray bottle of water it came right off without damaging the plaster or sheet rock.
There is still a lot to be done in this room, I finished with the wallpaper and washed all of the walls to get the old glue off. My husband helped me put the first layer of plaster in a particularly large hole.