I live in a county where homeschooling isn’t well known, which has been interesting to say the least about the social stigma’s that has come our way. So I am going to give you my top 10 reason why I homeschool.
So why do I homeschool?
1. I disagree with the common core teaching styles and refuse to put any of my children through that.
2. The school district I live in has very few good teachers that actually (gasp!) teach, many of them are teaching their students how to pass standardized testing they must take at the end of the school year. I have talked with many parents and students alike about it, one student moved to another school district through open enrollment and as a Junior was behind in her math not because she is bad student because she was never taught something that most schools teach in 7th grade. She had to have a tutor to get her up to her grade level in math, that took one whole semester to do so. Thankfully her new school was able to do that so she will graduate in the spring.
3. I want God to a part of our school day, Oh my goodness did I just say God. Why yes I did. Christ centered learning is what we do here, from our daily devotional to our unit study God is a part of our day.
Now to the most dreaded question any homeschooling family gets: “What about the social aspect of public school?”
5. Most homeschool families are fairly active in group activities like homeschool groups, 4-H, Girl/Boy Scouts, Youth Group, Play dates, etc. My children learn to interact with not just children in their grade level but people of all ages, I would love for you to have a conversation with my 8 year old. She loves to talk to anyone and everyone regardless of their age or social standing.
6. Don’t push your all unsocialized kids are shy thing at me either, I’ll point out that there are public school, private school and charter school students who are shy to yet I don’t see you talking about them.
7. School starts when I say it does, which is usually between 8:30 and 10 am, I am not a morning person so getting up and getting kids dress and off to school complete with a lunch box is totally not my thing.
8. What is this get dressed thing do you speak of? We have been known to wear pajamas all day if the mood strikes and we are on a roll with school, who wants to stop to get dressed raise your hand?? Anyone?
9. School is fun, yes I said it. Learning should be fun and interactive, when you make learning fun that is the stuff your child will remember.
10. I want to be in charge of what my children are learning, not what is just taught in the classroom but about every day life. I want my kids to be kids and keep them naive until they are ready to handle grown up situations.